Friday, December 09, 2005

Thoughts on Stanley “Tookie” Williams

First and foremost, I do not envy Governor Schwarzenegger at this time, as he considers clemency for Stanley Williams. The enormity of the matter, literally being in the position to spare a man’s life, must be sobering and incredibly difficult.

I am worn out listening to pundits on both sides of this issue; and every time I hear about the political implications surrounding this decision I shudder. I hope and I sincerely believe that Arnold Schwarzenegger is making his decision without considering the political ramifications.

I have tried to place myself in the position of the Governor, and as I said I do not envy him at this moment. While I do not covet the position of Governor Schwarzenegger, I do know where I would come down on this issue and I would not grant clemency.

Admittedly, I do not have all the details. I did not witness the crimes and I did witness the trial. I do know however, that Stanley Williams was convicted by a jury and sentenced to death for brutally killing four innocent people.

During his incarceration, Stanley Williams has made a decision to speak out against gangs. If I am to believe his supporters, his anti-gang campaign has probably saved many young people from pursuing the dangerous path of gang membership. I have not read his books, and I don’t know all of the details of his “good works.”

What I do know is human behavior. I know that if Stanley Williams had not been caught and convicted for his vicious crimes, he probably would still be living the gang-banger life. I do know that faced with the consequences (including death) of his decisions, Stanley Williams has been chastened and may very well be a different man. I know that his “turn around” may have benefited society. But, I also know that by gracefully accepting the consequences of his actions he will send an unmistakable message that will further his own post-conviction teachings.

Stanley Williams chose to murder four innocent people. When he pulled the trigger, he knew the consequences he would face if he was captured. The most responsible thing Stanley Williams can do now issue a statement, something like this...

“I made a mistake. I got involved in gangs, drugs, theft and ultimately murder. The consequence for my behavior has been a quarter-century in prison and in a few days the loss of my life. I used that quarter-century to encourage others not to follow my path, now I will use my execution as way to further that message. I accept the penalty – the consequence – for the decisions I made. And, I hope that by accepting my own death, with dignity, I can send a message to all of those young people thinking about following the path I chose. That death is the consequence for your choice.”

My heart is heavy for the families of the victims of Stanley Williams, I pray for them. My heart is heavy for Stanley Williams, I pray that he genuinely has repented, sought forgiveness, and can find peace in Heaven. I also pray for Governor Schwarzenegger, that he will find peace in his decision, wherever he comes down. Finally, while I know that there will be political ramifications to that decision, I pray that the Governor dismisses those thoughts altogether.

No comments: